Followers

Sunday, August 21, 2016

My Ultimate Makeover From A Broken Spirit To A Joyful Heart By Babs Kincaid




            Who doesn’t love a hair makeover? Doesn’t it do something to encourage your mind, body, and spirit! Magically, it lifts your spirit and makes you feel uniquely attractive. It produces a wow factor and an inner confidence that turns heads!

          Let me flip back in time to my personal story to show you how a simple hair makeover transformed my life. In my middle twenties, I was in a bad space. My world was saturated with fear, shame, and anger. I walked around with tremendous baggage from my childhood of hurts, hang-ups, and bad habits. My negative thinking could fill a luxury cruise ship. I was miserable and all my efforts to medicate my pain were a failure. I was so afraid because I daily used marijuana to escape from all my unhappiness. Being high meant I could feel no pain. I felt shameful because I knew what I was doing was wrong but I didn’t have the courage to stop. I was angry because I had grown up with an alcoholic dad who was verbally abusive and made me feel worthless! I felt like I had been cheated out of a positive childhood because of my low self-esteem. I remember walking through the halls of high school looking at the floor because I felt I wasn’t good enough to make eye contact with other students. 

          My secret passion in life was to find love, peace, and joy. My formula for happiness was to seek for love in bars, peace in drugs and joy in self-absorbed men. My life was in the toilet and my best efforts were a colossal disaster. I was so out of touch of how to make healthy choices. I felt trapped in a prison of darkness and hopelessness. I desperately wanted a changed life and freedom from my destructive lifestyle.

          Taking a small leap of faith, I decided the change I needed was to get a hair makeover from a stranger. For me to believe that a hair makeover could drastically change my upside down life was beyond crazy. Why would I ever trust a stranger to restyle my hair? The hairdresser was a sister of a friend and highly recommended. The truth was I was desperate for a miracle. 

          To my surprise, my hairdresser Peggy O'Barr was a single mom who lived in an ordinary apartment but who radiated extraordinary joy. I was captivated by her dazzling joy. I couldn’t figure out what she had to be joyful about. She didn’t even have a boyfriend. Puzzled, I asked her “What is the source of your joy?” Peggy’s response was “Jesus.” That made no sense to me. Mystified, I asked her “Can I have what you have?” Peggy quickly responded “yes.” Intrigued, I asked her “What do I have to do to get what you have?” Peggy told me I didn’t have to do anything but believe. God’s gift is free! She began to tell me the gospel in simple terms. Peggy told me that God loved me and had a plan for my life. She said my sins separated me from God. God didn’t want to live without me so He sent his son Jesus to earth to pay for my sins. Jesus died for me and rose to take away the sins of the world forever. Peggy told me this simple prayer of salvation: 

Heavenly Father….Thank you for sending Jesus to earth.
 Jesus thank you for dying for me.
 Please forgive me for all my sins.
 I believe you died for my sins and rose from the dead.
I want you to take control of my life.
 I want to live for you and follow you as my Savior and LORD.
 In Jesus name, Amen.

To my surprise, after I prayed I felt my backpack of fear, shame and anger lift and my heart flood with love, peace, and joy. The next morning, I heard a quiet voice in my heart say “You don’t need to do drugs anymore. I have a higher high for you and it will last forever.” Wow, what a spiritual awakening for me! From that moment on I had no desire to do drugs ever again. That was a huge deliverance for me!!!! I was set free forever!!!!! All I could say was “wow!” “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God raised him up from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” Romans 10:9

My new life in Christ had begun. That was the best day of my life!!!  I am so grateful for Peggy,  my best hairdresser ever who told me the truth that set me free! Peggy will always have a special place in my heart! What Jesus had given me was beyond my wildest dreams!!!!! God gave me oceans of forgiveness, a gift of grace and a future with hope! Jesus said he was called to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;” Isaiah 61:3 You can have the same ultimate makeover from God. God is eagerly waiting to receive you!

Jesus said, “I am come that they might have life,

and that they might have it more abundantly.” John 10:1


1 comment:

  1. This is a great God-story, Babs and I thank you for sharing it for anyone in the world to see. The magnificant power that God has in our lives is something that even the most seasoned Christian forgets. But the same power that raised Jesus from the dead is in us, as believers. And yes, we just believe and abide and we don't need to complicate that. God loves us no matter what and we show Him our love by abiding/obeying Him and sharing what His Son did. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete