Followers

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Believing against all Hope by Babs Kincaid


       Believing against all hope can only be credited to a supernatural act of God powerfully working in my life. Doubting that any hope exists in my circumstances is like second nature to me. Doubting is like my natural born skill set! If I can see something exists, I can believe it. Jesus wisely said: “Stop doubting and believe… “blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20:27b, 29b When I truly value and honor my friends, I trust them to be there for me when I am in need. Likewise, it pleases God, when we put our confidence in him. “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” Hebrews 11:6 That’s why the scripture says: “blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD.”

The most phenomenal gift you could ever receive, salvation begins with believing in Jesus “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” Acts 16:31a It is the confidence and assurance in the unseen: “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1 When you believe in Jesus and receive his salvation you cross over from death to life. “by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:31b Consider this powerful word:  “I have set before you this day life and death… Choose life” Deuteronomy 30:19


One of my favorite Bible stories which depicts believing against all hope is about an older couple named Abraham and Sarah. Their story I find fascinating! This story is found in Genesis 17. The LORD appeared to Abraham when he was 99 years old and told him that he would be “a father of many nations” Genesis 17:4b and his wife Sarah would give birth to a son. Abrahams response was classic: “Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, “Shall a child be born to a man who is one hundred years old? And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” Genesis 17:17 God’s comeback is even better: “Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac.” Genesis 17:19a This is ironic because according to Unger’s Bible Dictionary Isaac’s name means “laughter.” Gotta love God’s humor! 


What I find fascinating about Abraham is that he holds the unbelievable promise given to him by God, despite all scientific facts that scream impossible! According to Parents.com “at 45 a woman’s likelihood of getting pregnant is no more than 3 or 4 percent.” Do the math, if Sarah age was double 45 the odds of pregnancy are emphatically non-existent! In Abraham’s eyes he “believed-God who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;” Romans 4:17b Abraham was a faith visionary because “not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and fully convinced that what He had promised He was able to perform. And therefore it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Romans 4:19-22 Not only did Abraham not falter at the promise of God but his faith soared!!!!! We have a lot to learn from this incredible example of Abraham’s faith. How many promises of God do I believe over impossible odds making my faith soar?????? I confess I get way too hung up over scientific facts and what I can see! No wonder God says the “righteous shall live by faith.” Romans 1:17

So I know you must have something going on in your life right now that screams impossible without the monumental hand of God doing a miracle. I confess I do. What are you going to choose to believe? Are you going to believe in what you can see or in the astounding and invisible God who divided the red sea, made a donkey talk, dropped food from Heaven, and raised the dead and so much more? Check out the faith chapter for a more detailed list of God’s miracles in Hebrews 11. Jesus said it best by his profound words: “Did I not tell you if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” John 11:40b

You, my friend, can believe against all hope for God to move mountains in your life! God is the master mountain mover!  “Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” Romans 5:5 See how closely connected is the love of God to our hope. Consider how encouraging our hope is because the love of God has been poured into our hearts. Notice that God is the one equipping us to succeed. God only asks us to believe! Are you ready to super-size your belief? Are you ready to see the glory of God? It’s time to believe against all hope!!!!!!

“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,” Ephesians 1:18




2 comments: