Followers

Friday, September 23, 2016

Created to be a God Pleaser and not a People Pleaser By Babs Kincaid


          The one who “knit me together in my mother’s womb” (Psalm 139:13b) created me to be a God pleaser and not a people pleaser. God hovered over my very formation as a loving Heavenly Father. God created me to “make it my goal to please him.” 2 Corinthians 5:9 A God pleaser demonstrates unconditional, fearless, and sacrificial love and a people pleaser exhibits conditional, selfish, and fearful love. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.John 3:16-17 God gave us the ultimate love gift!

          I have to continually ask myself are my words and behavior pleasing God or just pleasing other people? “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10 The chilling reality is a people pleaser is not pleasing God! “But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.” 1 Thessalonians 2:4

          My childhood was rather rocky living with an alcoholic dad, so I went overboard in my attempts to please him. With each failed effort, I became more convinced that it was impossible to please him. My dad wanted me to an art major in college so I enrolled as an art major. Since I was crafty and not an artist my endeavor backfired! I couldn’t perform as an artist since I lacked the talent! My grades were a glaring proof of it. I wanted to major in social work but my dad said that was an inferior choice since social workers didn’t make any money. Ultimately, I chose a merchandising degree instead of my dream. I didn’t follow my passion by people pleasing my dad! I threw away my dream for his sake. “The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.” Proverbs 29:25 A snare is “a noose, a hook or a trap” according to Strong’s Concordance of the Bible. I took the bait and I have regretted that decision ever since! “The Lord be exalted who delights in the well-being of his servant.” Psalm 35:27b God genuinely cares about my welfare and my selfish and materialistic dad did not! My earthly father was only concerned about how my degree might make him look good! The grim reality is my degree has never been an asset to me in my pursuit of jobs.


Guy Harvey Painting
          Extravagant gifts were the required love gesture for each holiday to people please my dad. As I grew up, I found that such expensive gifts did not match my budget. I asked my pastor one day if I should feel obligated to meet his expectations. My pastor said no, God wanted me to be a good steward of my income and not be in debt. The Bible defines God’s steward with these words: “For an overseer, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined.” Titus 1:7-8 My dad was furious at my refusal to meet his excessive desires. My faith and respect for Christ kept me from caving into my dad’s self-centered requests. With God’s help, I was able to forgive my dad, but he never was willing to be reconciled to me or to God. My dad chose to respond with revenge by writing me out of his will. I am thankful for my Heavenly Father who did not abandon me: “his name is the LORD-and rejoice before him. A father to the fatherless…God sets the lonely in families,” Psalm 68:4b, 5a God has been my faithful Father ever since!
  

          So each day I am faced with choices to please God or people please others and my goal is to please God! I try to keep my perspective on this golden verse: “And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. 2 Corinthians 5:15 As God’s ambassador my goal is to please him. “Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appealthrough us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.2 Corinthians 5:20 People pleasing ultimately breeds decaying relationships but God pleasing breeds life! It is written: “for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.” 2 Corinthians 3:6b Yea God! “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10 The infallible word gives the best summary: Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.Ecclesiastes 12:13

 God, the fountain of living water is the one I aim to please!


“Looking Glass Falls in Pisgah National Forest” Photo by Babs Kincaid


No comments:

Post a Comment